Monday, April 26, 2010

Yesterday to the start of today

Great day yesterday. Good eating, amazing time of worship at church last night. My trip to church "both" times were without incident. Bennet after his melt down, with the help of his sister, went down to the car with no yelling or screaming. It was a wonderful day.

Mikayla, my little mother hen. She's a wonderful help. I don't think I could do Sunday mornings without her. If Preston needs a feed, she's helping me get Bennet ready. She's amazing and I love her to bits. Sometimes she thinks she's 16, but I love the challenge ;) My Mom says "she's you".

Today, I'm going to open up to you about our son Bennet. He's a beautiful little man, VERY bright, he can count to 100 and totally Loves numbers. His Kindergarten teacher has said he's very advanced for his age, thus making me very proud. Since Bennet was little I had noticed a few things. He didn't start really talking or formulating thoughts until he was 3 1/2, we thought that he was just a "shy" little guy, he took a VERY long time to potty train, he doesn't look at anyone in the eye, he sometimes seems like he's "ignoring" people, but can hear everything that is being said, he hates loud noises, and is OBSESSED with Thomas the train, not like a regular love of Thomas, he's OBSESSED, that is almost what he talks about constantly. He also does not handle "transition" at all. At first we didn't really think about his behaviour as being an issue. UNTIL he started school. Bennet, our sweet little man, was struggling with the new change. His teacher is AMAZING and we love her to bits, but she too saw this incredible little man struggling and we worked together on a few things.. Then Preston was born, and due to this "CHANGE" and "Winter" (Bennet HATES winter, to cold) He continued to struggle, if not was worse then September. Bennet doesn't "play" with kids, he plays by himself. He will play with his sister, and Jude- but they are his comfort level.. Back to Winter. Bennet LOVES (hope you don't mind my capitals, it's how I express the word) sand and the sandbox- the "play structure" was closed for winter and this totally disappointed our wee man, and made him very unhappy. At recess time he would make his teachers life interesting and would fight about getting ready for outside time. His teacher ended up calling us and we made a plan to pick him up for lunch recess (because he would end up walking in circles on the pavement anyways, by himself) and have lunch with him and then take him back, this made life so much easier for him and his teacher. I hope this is making sense. My point to all of this is, that we are trying to get him assesed, but had hit a road block, I contacted our Health unit and they are helping me start the process of a refferal. I spoke to the one lady today, who reviewed Bennets Questionnaires, and she does feel that his social development does need to be "assessed" which is not a huge surprise to us. No matter what the end result of this process, Bennet is Bennet and we will not use this as an excuse to poor behaviour, we just want to know if somethings up. I am asking for your prayers as we continue this process. Asking for guidance for Larry and myself. Asking that my doctor will have an open mind. When I first approached her about Bennet, she laughed and said "he's just a boy" and I was shocked and said NOTHING. That's why I went through the "health unit" as they will be my liaison.

I was down .7lbs today.. Hey that's better then being up.

Thanks for your prayers. I appreciate you all

Kozlofenhoff

No comments:

Post a Comment